Monday, August 30, 2010

You Can Go Home Again - But It's Never the Same

For years I've been telling Trina about this wonderful place up in the Pennsylvania mountains called The Haystacks.  I used to go to there when I was a kid.  It's a place where the Loyalsock Creek runs over a solid bed of rock.  Over the years (eons) the creek has carved out a natural water slide.  And yesterday, we finally had time to go do it!  It's a bit of an adventure because we had to drive 2 hours just to get there.  Trina hauled all of her camera gear down there to take photos of this natural wonder.

WHAT I REMEMBER AS A KID:  IT'S A SHORT WALK TO THE HAYSTACKS WHICH IS WAY UP HIGH ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN.

reality: you have to hike downhill (on a goat path) and it's a couple of miles.

WHAT I REMEMBER. IT'S A THRILLING RIDE.  YOU SIT DOWN AND THE RUSHING WATER SENDS YOU FLYING.

reality: the water sort of pushes you forward (a little)


WHAT I REMEMBER: THE ROCK IS SO INCREDIBLY SMOOTH AND YOU JUST ROCKET DOWN THIS REALLY LONG FLUME


reality: it's about 50 feet long and there are lots of jagged rocks that scrape your private parts


WHAT I REMEMBER: DOING IT OVER AND OVER AND OVER


reality: I did it once.  That's enough.


Final reality: Trina says from now on she's planning our adventures.


Sigh....

Check out my LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevebauermedia


Copyright 2010
all rights reserved by the author

No comments:

Post a Comment